TheSmartSearch.net is a browser hijacker also known as a Potentially Unwanted Program as it changes your default homepage and search engine to TheSmartSearch.net. Avoiding PUPs is not always a easy task, this Browser Hijacker is often bundled using freeware and offered during the installation of legit software. Software from Download.com or CNET may contain additional software. So, be aware when you install software onto your computer and carefully read the terms of agreements during installation. PUPs, Adware or Browser Hijackers are commonly bundled with software. This software is not always malicious and may occasionally be offered as handy software or browser enhancing software.
The interesting part of this Browser Hijackers is they might install software to protect themselves against changing the default homepage to another homepage. Search Protect from Conduit is software that monitors the browser for any changes, if anything changes within the browser it alerts you with a question if you really want to change the homepage or keep your existing one.
This might sound like a good thing, but its just a nasty way to keep their Search Engine as default homepage and default search engine to get web-traffic and revenue by promoting in-text advertisements. Too bad this Browser Hijacker is not detected by Antivirus software as they are “PUPs” Potentially Unwanted Programs, and you might want them ? I don’t think you want them, so follow our removal guide to get rid of it.
Afterwards install free software as MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to remove and protect your computer from PUPs.
AdwCleaner – Automatically remove Adware, Hijacks or Redirects
How to use AdwCleaner
- Close all open windows from your browsers before starting AdwCleaner.
- Double-click AdwCleaner.exe to start the tool.
- Then wait until the scan is complete.
- Click the Report button to see a list of all the items that were detected for better analyse.
- If you are ready to remove the found and checked items, click the Clean button.
- AdwCleaner will reboot your computer.
- Click OK to continue.
You may need it for further analyse, if not just delete AdwCleaner using the Uninstall button.
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware – Remove TheSmartSearch.net and protect your computer
Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Free (direct download)
- Install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware using the installation wizard.
- MalwareBytes Anti-Malware needs no configs or specific settings, just install and you are ready to scan your computer for malware and free removal.
- Click Scan Now to start a malware scan and remove TheSmartSearch.net from Microsoft Windows.
Remove Extensions or Browser Helper Objects by TheSmartSearch.net using Avast Browser Cleanup
This new tool serves to delete pesky and unwanted toolbars and plug-ins (extensions or browser helper objects) from your browser(s). Simply download and run the Browser Cleanup utility without the need to install anything. Once you run the utility, you will see a list of toolbars and plug-ins and be able to disable them with one simple click. Avast Browser Cleanup is completely free of charge.
- Select your current browser from the list on the left
- Uncheck the box “Exclude add-ons with a good rating“
- Click Disable or Remove by the Browser Helper Object or Extension you wish to disable or remove according the malware you try to remove. Search for the malware in the list and remove anything you don’t know.
- Optional: if you would like to reset your browser click “Reset Settings” in the right upper corner of Avast Browser Cleanup. This will solve most of the problems with your browser. First remove any extension or browser helper object.